Compilers other than GNAT?

If they work as a developer or have done, they are no longer hobbyists.

What if they’ve retired?

Sure it is another language but the Parasail compiler is completely written in Ada95 and compiled into machine code by at least two different Ada compilers. Also the research into Parasail influences future versions of the Ada language.

4 Likes

Honeywell has their own Ada compiler that they use internally. IIRC it’s certified and thus can officially be called an Ada compiler. I have no idea if they offer it for sale.

Probably mom’s basement/garage hobbiests like Lucretia have no hope of getting a copy. J/k Lucretia!

FWIW, it might also be interesting to convert the Ada to Java and see how that runs. This conversion tool claims to be entirely hands-off:

These people also produce Ada compilers:

http://www.xgc.com/

1 Like

Based on their website, their compilers are based on old GNAT compilers that they have modified for various targets.

There is also a successor of AdaMagic distributed by MapuSoft as Ada to C/C++ (or Java) converter.

pyj wrote: Even though the Ada coin says “in strong typing we trust”, that’s actually wrong in some ways, and more accurately it should say, “in our compiler(s) we trust.”

Well, what is obviously meant is: “in strong typing as defined by the Ada Reference Manual and as implemented by conforming compilers we trust”. That’s a bit long for a small advocacy image, isn’t it? Hence, we choose the shorter “in strong typing we trust”… :wink:

Is it not also the runtime though. Of course I have no idea how the compiler informs it about the types. Now I have to look it up, ha ha.