2023 Crate of the Year Awards!

It seems odd to call it a community index when it requires granting Microsoft special rights to the code. This is disappointing, but I suppose no interest is better than tenuous interest, and I’m no longer interested in participating unless this ridiculous policy changes, nor do I want anyone else to enter my code into this index as it stands currently.

Your opinion seems odd. What are you concerned about, exactly? Unless you create a pro account then your use will cost Microsoft money and github isn’t going anywhere.

You could use sonething like signify or Sparknacl and put a short signature on every source file?

I don’t agree to these terms, and dislike the idea of Microsoft training neural network nonsense on my software in order to illegally remove its license somewhere down the line.

I don’t actually see terms related to that though I may have missed them. Indeed they could do this with any open source code especially permisively licensed. Is your code gpl 3? Perhaps you could use or modify a license which prohibits use by e.g. LLMs etc…

I wonder. Can a private repo allow enough access to say alire-index as that would certainly be protected. I guess it would require a private alire-index and would not be straight forward.

In theory, it shouldn’t matter for Microsoft where your code is stored, because they must obey your license. Another matter is whether they are respecting it or not when training an AI, and in the Terms of Service there’s no point about it.

In any case, your source code needs not be on GitHub, just the community index is. In my opinion, a way to contribute to the community index using other Git mechanism would make sense, but the Alire authors set the rules. I guess they don’t like to attend several sources for crate publishing.

Git allows many kinds of pulls from different sources, so technically there wouldn’t be any problem in doing a pull from a clone of the index in another public repository provider, o using git send-email as I suggested. In fact, this was what pull request meant originally, a personal request to the maintainer to pull from a different cloned repository.

2 Likes

In Alire documentation, search for “Starting with a remote source archive”.
With this workflow, you don’t need any Github account. You even don’t need any source hosting service.
You just need a public location where an archive file containing your Alire sources can be downloaded.

3 Likes

I had to push a new branch as I really didn’t know how to update it without a new version. I linked them.