2023 Crate of the Year Awards!

Hello here, AdaCore just announced the 3rd edition of the Crate of the Year Awards.

This time there is no need to register, winning crates will be selected from all the crates in the Alire ecosystem.

I am opening this thread as a place for everyone to discuss which crate they think would be a good candidate or even promote their crate.

Have fun and happy hacking!

7 Likes

Iā€™ll start :slight_smile:

This year I used the ASFML crate a little bit, itā€™s working great and itā€™s easy to use. Manuel even fixed some issues I reported.

1 Like

Hi, I just started playing with Alire this year and one of the crates I tried was HAC. I havenā€™t done much with it but I have to say it is a nice tool and I look forward to playing with it more and see what I can use it for.

2 Likes

Hi all,

Couldnā€™t resist the temptation to ask Mr. GPT to write an announcement for me.
I started explaining what mold is, main features and how it works. In short, mold (Meta-variable Operations for Lean Development) is a 100% Ada library and CLI template processing tool, similar to jinja2 and coockicutter.

Iā€™m not completely sure that all my points where understood, but anyway thatā€™s the result :smiley: :

:rocket: Introducing the Game-Changer: ā€œMOLDā€ Crate :rocket:

:star2: Unleash the Power of Lean Development with MOLD :star2:

Are you ready to revolutionize your Ada programming experience? Hold onto your hats because the future of lean, efficient, and highly customizable development just reached another level. Say hello to the ā€œmoldā€ crateā€”the latest sensation in the Ada Alire Index and a frontrunner for the prestigious ā€œAlire Crate of the Yearā€ award!

:trophy: Why MOLD? :trophy:

• :earth_africa: Streamline Your Projects: Say goodbye to tedious project setups. MOLD empowers you to create new projects and templates with unmatched efficiency.
  • :link: Flexible Template Inclusion: Customize your projects like never before. With ā€œmoltā€ extension support, integrate components seamlessly for the ultimate project flexibility.
  • :jigsaw: Variable Substitution Redefined: Hold onto your seats! Now, MOLD lets you compose variables from other variables. Itā€™s like a symphony of variable valuesā€”compose, combine, and create with unparalleled flexibility.
  • :coin: Text Transformation Magic: Unveiling the latest featureā€”text filters! Whether you need predefined transformations or custom text alterations during variable substitution, MOLD has you covered.
  • :art: Meta-Variable Magic: Tailor MOLDā€™s behavior using meta-variables (those prefixed with ā€œmold-ā€). Mold your tool to fit your unique needs.
  • :open_file_folder: Simplicity in Complexity: Whether youā€™re handling a single file or diving into the depths of a directory, MOLDā€™s got your back.
  • :recycle: Automatic Cleanup: No more clutter! MOLD cleans up source files after a successful project generation, leaving you with a pristine workspace.
  • :coin: Dynamic Naming: Embrace the power of variable-driven source file naming. Create project structures that adapt to your requirements effortlessly.

:globe_with_meridians: Join the Revolution :globe_with_meridians:

Donā€™t miss your chance to experience the future of lean development, now with the incredible ability to compose variables from other variables (announced for released 2.0). The ā€œmoldā€ crate is your gateway to a more efficient, customizable, and hassle-free coding experience. As a strong contender for the ā€œAlire Crate of the Yearā€ contest, itā€™s poised to redefine Ada development!

:tada: Get Started Today! :tada:

Visit the Ada Alire Index, discover the ā€œmoldā€ crate with enhanced variable composition, and revolutionize your Ada development journey. Share your feedback, showcase your projects, and letā€™s set new standards together in the ā€œAlire Crate of the Yearā€ contest.

:rocket: MOLD Your Future with Ada Development Excellence! :rocket:

#MoldCrate #AlireCrateOfTheYear #AdaDevelopment #EfficiencyUnleashed #VariableComposition

1 Like

I had forgotten about the 2023 edition! I will try to remind people about it during the December Monthly Meetup!

Regards,
Fer

1 Like

Really sounds like a great tool and I like the name. At the moment, I donā€™t have anything to make use of it, but hopefully that changes in the near future.

1 Like

This is great @rocher ! I would love to have some templating abilities in Alire at some point.

1 Like

Hello everyone,

Hi Fabien,

I just posted a PR on the alire-index to publish a crate that provides a bare-metal portable minimal Ada runtime library (RTS), which I created by stripping the FSF GNAT RTS to the ā€œbare-bonesā€ minimum set of platform-independent Ada packages. I need to have that crate published, as a pre-requisite to publish
my submission for the ā€œCrate of the Year 2023ā€. My submission is a multi-core RTOS (and separation kernel) written in Ada/SPARK.

Can you please tell me what is the process to get my PR reviewd and approved, so that the crate with the minimal Ada RTS can be published on Alire?

Thanks,

German Rivera

Hello GermĆ”n, we will review your PR as soon as time permits, you donā€™t need to do anything else at this time. Any issues that might crop up, we would discuss on the PR. Thanks for your first contribution!

1 Like

Hi @jgrivera67, thereā€™s an issue with your build flags. I just opened a ticket on your GitHub repo.

I would like to introduce HiRTOS, my submission to the Ada/SPARK crate of the year 2023 contest, in the embedded software category. The corresponding pull request to publish HiRTOS on the alire-index repo is awaiting review.

2 Likes

I am submitting the latest SDLAda build after a break.

Which also needs:

This will be the last release from my github as Iā€™ll be splitting up the project and adding it to Ada Game Framework Ā· GitHub. The plan was always to create a number of libs which when combined provided a full framework to build on.

I do have thin bindings to FMOD and Nuklear generated, but gcc/g++ doesnā€™t really do the best job. I also have a GL binding generator started which I did years ago, this needs a backend, this can be extended to other Khronos registries, but last I tried it died on Vulkan.

Iā€™ve been thinking about a binding generator project for a while and as my projects are mostly bindings, at the moment, Iā€™ll be working on that next. If this pans out, it would make bindings trivial.

Iā€™m wondering if I could enter without a Microsoft GitHub account. I found no way to contact the organizer without one, so Iā€™ve made this account in an attempt to get some last-minute entries in. Iā€™d sincerely appreciate any direction I could get in this.

2 Likes

Oh well, thereā€™s always next year; of course thatā€™s what I thought last year.

I donā€™t know if they will accept it, but you can make your changes in a local clone of the community index and then use git send-email to send your proposal to the Alire maintainers.

To which e-mail address would this be sent?

Try sending it to Mosteoā€™s e-mail on his profile in GitHub.

Excuse me if I seem dense, but I see no e-mail address on that page; Iā€™ve looked before.

Sorry, not visible without being signed in. Iā€™ve sent it to you by private message.

1 Like

Hi @Verisimilitude, you do need a GitHub account to be able to submit a create to the Alire community index. And the Crate of the Year Award will can only be granted to a create in the community index.