Ada Discord Server

For those who use discord or prefer discord, I’ve created an Ada Discord Server:

It’s set up in Community Mode with onboarding and such, but it’s still very small and doesn’t have much in the way of moderation yet. It does link to other community channels in the “resources” area and even has a link to ada-lang.io’s rss feed so new topics will be posted there.

The reason for the discord server is, while there’s already so many servers out there, is because there’s some people who will be on discord but nothing else, and I think this is a good way for community outreach to try and have a presence for those who otherwise wouldn’t be on discord.

I’ve spoken on and off with a few people about this over the last year or so (mostly @Max, @pyj, @Irvise) and would like to ultimately create a bridge between telegram/discord/matrix/(IRC?) that channels discussion across all of the servers so it won’t matter where you are. It looks like it could be possible with something like this:

I have friends who have done it before, and the way it pulled it off I sometimes couldn’t even tell who was in which server. That’s my mid-term goal, my short-term goal right now is just getting everything up and running in a cohesive state.

Cheers!

1 Like

I very much loathe Discord.

I loathe matrix or rather all clients I have tried.
I very much prefer Discord :slight_smile:

Heh, well, i loathe both Discord and Matrix, for various reasons in both cases:

When i found that this forum was running on Discourse, i was (and still am!) so pleased. :slight_smile:

But in the end, this doesn’t matter, because:

(a) Whatever my own feelings, there are many people who prefer Discord.
(b) Someone is willing to put in the work to create and maintain a Discord server for such people.

So i applaud u/AJ-Ianozi for putting their hand up. :slight_smile: Best wishes, and good luck!

2 Likes

would like to ultimately create a bridge between telegram/discord/matrix/(IRC?) that channels discussion across all of the servers so it won’t matter where you are.

That would be awesome!

1 Like

One really nice option built into discord is the ability to screen share. This is really nice when trying to help them. They can share their screen making it easy to debug some things together

@jere That sounds very useful, how/where does one access that screen share function in Discord?

I think you have to be in one of the Voice channels and streaming:

(you can also just initiate a screen sharing session with someone 1:1 but I’ve seen people share their screen in the voice channels before)

1 Like

AJ is correct, the person sharing and the person viewing must enter a voice channel (you don’t need to have a mic to do this if you are communicating in a different way, see my screenshot below). When you enter a voice channel a new panel appears at the bottom of your channel list with the screen share option

The person needing help needs to share their screen using that button at the bottom, then discord will show them as “live” in the voice channel and anyone can click on that and see their screen realtime (with of course server lag/internet latency in mind):

I did all this from the browser version of discord, but I believe the app is nearly identical.

So it might be something to consider to add a couple of “help others” voice channels to the Ada discord incase people want to get together and help each other out with visuals

1 Like