Ada Planet, a permanent revival

As many may have noticed, Thindil’s Adaplanet (v2) is no longer updating and the repository has been archived by his author.

I’ve set up an alternative, working now for some months, which I hadn’t yet properly announced. I call it Ada Planet v3:

Background story:

Backup repository for the Blogger setup:

6 Likes

Awesome!

Do you take layout option requests? No biggie if not, but figured I would check.

I’m open to requests, but I’m not sure about what you mean by layout option and whether it would be possible on Blogger.

The main attraction for me on the adaplanet was the feed was organized based on the time it was added to the feed. So I could just go to the site, see the top of the list know if there were any new blogs/posts/etc to check out.

With the new blogger layout everything is in separate categories, so I have to check each category individually and see if the date is recent or not.

I have vision impairment, so the “in order of newest down to oldest” works better for me as I can just know the top of the list is newer rather than scan the entire page looking for new dates.

I was wondering if there was a way to see the feed similar to the old style where it was organized by time rather than category. If not, then that would be the request: to add a means to see the feed in that manner (it doesn’t have to remove the current layout, could be optional).

However, I completely understand if that is not an easy undertaking or even if you feel it isn’t a good idea. So no biggie if that is way out of scope. I just figured I would ask and see. I definitely don’t want you to feel pressured to do something you aren’t comfortable with or don’t really have the time to do.

That wouldn’t be possible with Blogger. The page is basically a set of RSS gadgets configured to show the selected feeds. I rely on my browser color indication for visited links or dates to know what is new. I didn’t find a better option without paying for a dynamic hosting. For example, I tried a site providing access to a FreshRSS setup, but that was not shareable with others (and very limited in terms of permanency of news). If you can find something better, we can study the change.

An option that I commented on the GitHub issue was including in this forum the RSS Polling - plugin - Discourse Meta. But that would have to be done by the forum administrators. It could be a very good option; according only to the plugin description, because I haven’t seen a public deployment of that plugin yet.

No problem at all. Sorry for taking up your time then.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it. And thanks for reviving the site.

1 Like