Advent of Computing Podcast

This podcast did an episode about the origins of Ada.

I don’t like the way he pronounces Ada and I could be pedantic about some of the broad generalizations he makes, but overall I think this is a nice summary. Sounds like it’s going to be the beginning of a series, with a future episode about tasking. I’m looking forward to it!

3 Likes

I can’t abide the way he pronounces Ada. In fact, I’ll make that a ‘won’t’.

Well, I bit the bullet: it’s a good episode - not much new, but ties the history together well. Towards the end he slips and pronounces Ada ‘properly’ a few times!

2 Likes

In fact this guy pronounce Ada as in French. No problem for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

It doesn’t bother me. In some portions of the US, there would be people who would pronounce it that way as that is how the name is pronounced there, as well a couple of other ways (eye-duh in some coastal areas of the east for example). I’m all for being culturally inclusive. In this case the author doesn’t know what the pronunciation should be, so I think that’s ok, he’s at least trying!

1 Like

:laughing: The pronunciation reminds me of ‘atta-‘ as in:

Attaboy! :dog2:

Attaboy 1. an informal expression of encouragement or admiration to a man, boy or animal

Used to express encouragement, approval, or admiration

I think Adder is the only poisonous snake in Britain. Good episode. One gripe is that I much prefer Ada end terminations to curly brackets. I would call } C-like rather than modern.

1 Like

Yes, Ada end terminations are fairly self-documenting as where in ‘curly-brace’ languages, certain tricks and or plugins are sometimes needed to help identify deeply nested curly braces.

What are these curly braces for again?
brackets

With Java plugin for Eclipse IDE.

bracketeer-hints

1 Like

Next episode is up

4 Likes