Alire 2.0.0 release

This is a big release, lots of new functionality. Thanks and congrats to @mosteo and everyone who contributed!

14 Likes

We should update the links/text in the main page ASAP. Though something tells me that you may be already onto it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fixed on ada-lang.io

I was updating old projects and Alire 1.2.2 was already a major step up with profiles, it’s exciting to see the feature list of Alire 2.0.0.

4 Likes

Great progress!

With Releases · alire-project/GNAT-FSF-builds · GitHub getting macOS M1 builds, is there any chance the Alire aarch64-darwin release can be published as well? It would be great to have a simple Ada provisioning process for macOS!

Update

I’ve built it using the provided builds of FSF gnat and gprbuild for aarch64-darwin (temporarily injected them into my PATH), but I am observing an unexpected (at least for me) behavior (once I eject those builds):

$ file (which alr)
(…)/bin/alr: Mach-O 64-bit executable arm64

$ alr toolchain
CRATE       VERSION STATUS    NOTES
gprbuild    22.0.1  Available
gnat_native 13.2.1  Available

Yes when I try to select one, I can’t:

$ alr toolchain --select
Welcome to the toolchain selection assistant

In this assistant you can set up the default toolchain to be used with any crate
that does not specify its own top-level dependency on a version of gnat or
gprbuild.

If you choose "None", Alire will use whatever version is found in the
environment.

ⓘ gnat is currently not configured. (alr will use the version found in the environment.)

warn: No indexed versions found for crate gnat

ⓘ gprbuild is currently not configured. (alr will use the version found in the environment.)

warn: No indexed versions found for crate gprbuild

What am I missing?

Update 2

I was able to achieve some level of success by referencing FSF aarh64 builds in my own fork of the community index. However, I now run into the following problem:

$ alr build
ⓘ Building tst1=0.1.0-dev/tst1.gpr...
kb: warning: can't find a toolchain for the following configuration: language 'Ada', target 'aarch64-darwin', default runtime
kb: warning: can't find a toolchain for the following configuration: language 'Ada', target 'aarch64-darwin', default runtime
tst1.gpr:2:09: no compiler for language "Ada", cannot compile "tst1_config.ads"
gprbuild: *** compilation phase failed
error: Command ["gprbuild", "-s", "-j0", "-p", "-P", "tst1/tst1.gpr"] exited with code 7
error: Compilation failed.

Fixed: I apparently had x86_64 gnat_native in ~/.local/share/alire from some past experiments, and Alire was picking it up. In the hindsight, I did notice that it wasn’t downloading aarch64-darwin upon selection. After cleaning ~/.local/share/alire, it did download it and the above error is gone.

Hopefully, Add gnat_native for MacOS X AArch64 by reznikmm · Pull Request #1013 · alire-project/alire-index · GitHub and similar PRs for gnatprove and gprbuild will make it. Happy to contribute if I can be of help!

1 Like