IDE, your alternative to gnatstudio?

Hi,

I’m most of the time under windows when experimenting with Ada. But i’ve a lot of problems with gnatstudio, like the keyboard shortcuts with alt-gr Key that doesn’t work at all… impossible with m’y french keyboard to use #&{}[]@ etc… Notepad crt+c, ctrl-v is not really a good solution and i’m unsuccessful at building gnatstudio from source.

Some of Ada dev’s seems working with vscode, but none of the extensions for ada in this IDE seems, working… Neither for intellij plugin from adacore unmaintained from years.

Do you have some alternative ? What Do you use ?

My PC also runs Windows.
I don’t like GPS.
I use vscode as a last resort alternative.
My preferred IDE is Eclipse but there’s no (working) Ada plugin for it. I’m currently trying to configure Eclipse to use Adacore Ada Language Server. The outline view shows the various items found in the focused editor. Color syntax does not work in the editor. Neither does hovering code. But I can CTRL+click on code items. I’ll let you know if I make some progress.

1 Like

alt gr works for me on Linux as does vscode. The only vscode extension I used was the language server. I believe the others are unmaintained.

Others can comment on whether there is an open windows issue

One idea for gnat studio if your pc is new enough to run microsofts wsl 2 instead of 1. Is to try running the Linux version with the windows subsystem for linux 2 which I believe now runs x11 apps.

It’s a shame this lack of reliable tools for Ada and it contributes greatly to the lack of attraction for the language… :confused:

However personally I like gnat studio, but under linux ^^

I will still try an installation with wsl2, but I admit that reinstalling all the necessary libraries to try to make it work and fighting for 2 hours to achieve it tires me in advance…

I Hope to see gnatstudio in alire someday !!! :smile:

I was recently writing a little up about this.

I started off with GNAT studio, which is really nice, but has some quirky behavior, particularly in the indentation department, if you’re familiar with other IDEs. I’ve enjoyed using the Ada language plugin for VS Code. It works the same for me whether I’m on Windows, Mac or Linux.

1 Like

ok… i’ve installed gnatstudio in wsl with ubuntu, that’s working but it’s not a solution to build *.exe

I’ve too vscode with ada plugin, but i can’t find a way to have a working debugger

Sorry. I didn’t think about that. I haven’t used it on Windows so I don’t have experience to drawer on.

You say installing all the libraries. Did you not just use a release and then alire?

htps://alire.ada.dev

I have not noticed an indentation issue but I added abd use ctrl->shift->i to reformat the code, all the time.
Gnat studio gives you lots of flexibility. I have one parameter per line.
Gnat studio also jumps to and highlight compiler warnings and errors.

Controversially: I use emacs and ELPA AdaMode. I try to avoid intellisense crutches because it means that I need to be more organized and structured with my code so that I can keep everything in my head. At work I use VSCode though, because when its not my project, I usually can’t rely on the same discipline existing.

2 Likes

This is the release version that i use, I’ve posted my issue on github…

Thanks for mentioning Emacs (I’m the ada-mode maintainer). Why “controversially”?

The 8.0 release will support eglot/ada_language_server; almost ready for release.

I don’t usually monitor this forum; please send suggestions for improving Emacs ada-mode to the ada-mode discussion list Emacs Ada mode - Mailing Lists [Savannah]

3 Likes

I just mean that vi(m) has been the popular counter-culture editor these days, with VScode taking the mainstream.

Thank you for your work with ada-mode! I live by that extension.

As you probably know (I’ve seen others mention it), there are some issues compiling it on FSF GNAT 10 and above. I’ve made some changes (hacks) to get it compiling on my end. I include ada-mode in my pre-built GNAT “gnat-packs” here GitHub - annexi-strayline/gnat-packs: Self-contained binary distribution of the FSF GNAT Compiler and other free tools. In those I’ve hacked it to compile under FSF GNAT. I didn’t want to forward patches for that because it was very hacky, but the modified code are in the src packs.

Textadept and a shell here. I’m not a fan of IDEs, largely because I use a broad mix of languages and no IDE covers them all (or even a majority of them).

Ada-mode 8.0 is now available in elpa devel - it supports compiling with Alire

My question is exactly the opposite of the topic: when is the next release of GnatStudio expected? :grinning:
I have several problems with the current one on Windows 10 and Ubuntu Linux.
I am currently using VSCode and am still learning Ada. However, as I move forward, I like it more and more! :slight_smile:

What are the issues on Ubuntu?

I tried it on Ubuntu 22.04 and LinuxMint 21 (22.04). I used “Alr edit” to open simple projects in it. I could not always open the source files from the project tree.
There were times when it didn’t respond to double-clicking on the file, and there were times when it quit with segfault.
Interestingly, with projects I created in GnatStudio, I had no problems. I only had problems with Alire projects.

I use LEA, not as an alternative, but as a complement.
Luckily GNAT Studio has an “Edit with External Editor” menu entry exactly for that purpose.

Did you configure editor settings for Ada plugin? VSCodium makes 4 spaces to indent my Ada code and then alr beats me for not using 3. :joy:

Yes I just roled back to GNAT Studio 2020 as the later version I installed had many more bugs. It’s such a shame that quality is not taken seriously in GNAT Studio.

I used “Alr edit” to open simple projects in it. I could not always open the source files from the project tree.

On Fedora 35 & 37 I’ve had the same issues as those you mention (and some others, one of which I just reported to alire devs). I didn’t report these because I figured I was doing something wrong.

Come to think of it: one way I’ve managed to avoid the “could not always open the source files from the project tree” was to remember to alr build before calling alr edit. Alire seems to want us to have something built for some reason, even when there’s nothing there. (The instructions even imply this by saying to alr build before alr edit, without explaining why that’s necessary.)